During the latter part of the nineteenth century, a circuit of preaching points and missions known as the Yamhill Circuit was established to minister to the pioneer settlers in the area.
The first mention of Laurel was noted in the records of the Evangelical Church in 1892. We consider this as our founding date.
Five years later a simple frame church building was erected on donated land and the Bethany United Evangelical Church had a new home.
For over fifty years the Laurel Church shared pastors with other churches in the circuit. Then in 1947 Reverend Lester Moore became the first full time minister of what was then the Laurel Evangelical United Brethren Church.
On September 22, 1948, the original church building was destroyed by fire. Members of the congregation and others in the community responded by donating generous contributions of lumber, labor, and money. The new sanctuary was completed and dedicated on January 29, 1950.
With the decision of the Evangelical United Brethren denomination to merge with the Methodist Church, it was felt by most of the congregation that the church’s ministry would be most effective as an independent church. So in early 1968, the members voted to become “Laurel Community Church” and on January 2, 1969, the constitution was unanimously adopted.
Jim Johnson was called to be the first pastor of our community church and he served until 1983. The next year, Mike Moore became the pastor and ministered here until 2001. During this time of service, the multi-purpose building was completed. In 2003 David Freitag became our lead pastor and served until 2013 when Pastor Mark Campbell accepted the position.
The Laurel Church is grateful for its faithful heritage and seeks to continue its ministry in our community.